Roast Beetroot Salad with Pumpkin and Haloumi
- 1-2 bunches of beetroot - baby ones are sweeter, but big ones are just as good.
- 1 red onion - cut into wedges
- a bulb of garlic separated but still in papery skin
- two or three good handfuls of washed baby spinach leaves
- fresh herbs - parsley, rosemary, thyme etc.
- 180 gms of haloumi
- 1/8 Jap pumpkin, cut into cubes, or thin-ish slices (optional)
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
Preheat oven to medium heat 180-190 C
Steam the beets for about 10 mins, til they're just starting to soften up. Remove and chop beets into quarters, or if they're super big, just good sized chunks.
Place pumpkin, beets, wedges of onion, garlic and chopped herbs in a deep roasting tray. Slather with balsamic and olive oil and sprinkle salt and a fat pinch of sugar over the vegies.
Mix it all in the pan so everything is coated in the gooey goodness. Put in the oven, roast until everything smells amazing and the beetroot is easily stabbed with a knife. 20-30 mins approx
Just before you take it out of the oven, slice or cube haloumi, and lightly fry in a pan til nicely brown. Take the tray out, find the garlic and squeeze the flesh out of the skin into the pan (discard the papery outer).
Get a big deep bowl, put the spinach in the bottom, put the beetroot mix on top, then place the haloumi on top of that.
Recipe courtesy of Nomad Distribution